The Messiah in the Old and New Testaments (2007 Porter), edited volume
|Buy on Amazon|
|Search this book on Worldcat|
|Search this book on Google Books|
The Messiah in the Old and New Testaments (2007) is a volume edited by Stanley E. Porter.
Proceedings of the 2004 H.H. Bingham Colloquium in New Testament at McMaster Divinity College in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
"When the ancients talked about "messiah", what did they picture? Did that term refer to a stately figure who would rule, to a militant who would rescue, or to a variety of roles held by many? While Christians have traditionally equated the word "messiah" with Jesus, the discussion is far more complex. This volume contributes significantly to that discussion. Ten expert scholars here address questions surrounding the concept of "messiah" and clarify what it means to call Jesus "messiah." The book comprises two main parts, first treating those writers who preceded or surrounded the New Testament (two essays on the Old Testament and two on extrabiblical literature) and then discussing the writers of the New Testament. Concluding the volume is a critical response by Craig Evans to both sections. This volume will be helpful to pastors and laypersons wanting to explore the nature and identity of the Messiah in the Old and New Testament in order to better understand Jesus as Messiah."--Publisher description.
Editions and translations
Published in Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2007.
Table of contents
- Introduction: The Messiah in the Old and New Testaments / Stanley E. Porter
PART I - OLD TESTAMENT AND RELATED PERSPECTIVE
- The Messiah: Explorations in the Law and Writings / Tremper Longman
- Figuring the Future: The Prophets and Messiah / Mark J. Boda
- The Messiah in the Qumran Documents / Al Wolters
- Messianic Ideas in the Apocalyptic and Related Literature of Early Judaism / Loren T. Stuckenbruck
PART II: NEW TESTAMENT PERSPECTIVE
- Jesus as Messiah in Mark and Matthew / I. Howard Marshall
- The Messiah in Luke and Acts: Forgiveness for the Captives / Stanley E. Porter
- Remembering Jesus: John's Negative Christology / Tom Thatcher
- Divine Life and Corporate Christology: God, Messiah Jesus, and the Covenant Community in Paul / S.A. Cummins
- Messianic Themes of Temple, Enthronement, and Victory in Hebrews and the General Epistles / Cynthia Long Westfall
- The Messiah in the Old and New Testaments: A Response / Craig A. Evans
- [ Google Books]